Faith and Work Enterprises, Inc., was formed at the intersection of feedback from the local community and vision from a group of passionate listeners, who happen to be connected to a network of resources and support.
Faith and Work Enterprises (Faith & Work) is designed to provide an innovative and holistic, faith-based job readiness program on Pennsylvania Avenue for the local community. An integral part of this program is the creation and use of a social enterprise, Pennsylvania Avenue Chocolates™, where new skills can be practiced in preparation for the workplace environment.
3 Days a Week
Morning: Jobs for Life™
Afternoon: Pennsylvania Avenue Chocolates
Using the nationally recognized Jobs for Life™ (JfL) curriculum, the morning teaching session will focus on learning and applying lessons to better prepare participants for the workplace and for life. Through the JfL training, participants will:
- Understand God’s design for work and for the unique skills and abilities each person has been given
- Understand the value and impact of positive character in the workplace
- Discover their gifts, talents and abilities
- Develop clear job and career objectives
- Identify and discover ways to overcome barriers to success
- Create a realistic and achievable road map for their journey
- Learn effective communication, conflict resolution, and job sustainability skills
- Acquire and practice effective job search and interviewing skills, and more…
Supplementing the JfL training will be lessons on reconciliation, physical health, and financial planning by Faith & Work staff and guest professionals.
The afternoon will be spent applying the morning lessons into the job training environment provided through Faith & Work’s social enterprise, Pennsylvania Avenue Chocolates™. This social enterprise was created through the support and mentorship of Paul Wockenfuss, owner of Baltimore-based Wockenfuss Candies, and the name and chocolate bar design were developed through input from young men in the community. By practicing lessons learned in a job training environment, participants will develop the healthy workplace habits and routines that will help them become successful in whatever field of work they pursue. The chocolate bars which they produce will be initially marketed for fundraising by schools and churches throughout the mid-Atlantic region (and are already being pre-ordered) and will be a source of pride for the community and sustainability for the program.
Throughout the program, personal mentors will provide weekly support and encouragement to participants. Additionally, employer partners will be engaged throughout the various stages of the program to help train participants and provide opportunities for employment upon completion.
Outcome-based goals include:
- Securing and maintaining long-term employment and advancement
- Developing and sustaining healthier relationships with family, friends, and coworkers
- More effective management of finances, with short and long term goals
- Experiencing improved physical health
- Engaging in ways to better serve the greater community