What is a mentor?
“He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners” Isaiah 61:4
“I was a stranger and you invited me in… I was in prison and you came to visit me… whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me” Matthew 25:36
What a Mentor Does:
- Takes a long-range view on someone’s growth and development
- Helps a person see the destination but does not provide a detailed map to get there
- Offers encouragement and cheerleading, but not “how to” advice
What a Mentor Does NOT Do:
- A mentor is not a coach
- A mentor is not a counselor
- A mentor is not going to tell you how to do things
- A mentor is not there to support you on transactional, short-term problems
Faith and Work Participants are looking for change
Facilitating this change requires a non-judgemental relationship, and one that embodies sincerity and inspiration. The majority do not have a father and their mothers typically struggle with mental health issues, addiction, and low levels of education.
These young men have had no strong role model to show them the productive ways of life. Often these young men believe that success is not possible for them… that God blessed others with success and passed them by.
As a mentor, you have the opportunity to make everything a teachable moment and help those with a compromised past, to begin walking in a healthy and productive path. You have the opportunity to help these young men develop into positive role models in their neighborhood.
I am interested in learning more about mentoring with Faith and Work Enterprises.
Faith and Work Enterprises highly values our employment partners. Our candidates come with a desire to work, and we remind them of how important it is to surpass expectations daily and to learn from each mistake made. By partnering with us in this mission, you can anticipate:
- Ongoing support
- Thorough screening of candidates (Including criminal background and urinalysis)
- Reduction of bottom line
- Retention support
- A togetherness approach
- We value working together to both protect the integrity of your company and continue a referral relationship